Thursday, March 5, 2015

Solomon's Story

After watching the video Solomon's Story about on-line searching it made me realize that maybe students have really never been taught how to search for something particular that they are looking for. I have assumed that since they have been working with technology for such a long time that searching for a topic would be simple enough, but maybe not.

Fourth quarter my fourth quarters will be doing research on a famous person. I can see myself showing this video to them before we begin researching. It will help them use key words and phrases to look for more specific information rather than just using their names.  It will also discuss with them that there is a lot out there on the internet and not all sites can be trusted and it will help them know how to find the most reliable sources.

I am glad that you introduced us to these articles/videos because I think there are many of them that I can actually use with my kiddos.


2 comments:

  1. I think you are right. There are probably some fourth graders who don't know how to search for something. I think showing them a video is a great way to help them learn how to use key words and phrases to find information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of kids out there that don't know how to locate information. This would be a great tool to use to introduce that to them. I'd love to know how my 4th grade friend does with this :)

    ReplyDelete